Mohican area activities
You don’t have to go far to find plenty of things to do beyond the park, thanks to all of the Mohican area activities. The town of Loudonville is known as the gateway to Amish Country, and it’s a quick trip to this fascinating cultural area famous for its handcrafted items. Close by are canoe liveries , Pleasant Hill Marina, golf and miniature golf courses, horse stables, Tree Frog Canopy Tours zipline course and the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.
Don’t forget the famous Malabar Farm which offers crafts, winter activities, scavenger hunts, interpretive programs and more. During winter, the snow-covered hills and forests are breathtaking. Skiing enthusiasts will find the challenges they seek on many groomed trails and at the nearby slopes on one of two ski areas.
Mohican State Park
Located in the heart of Mohican Country, Mohican State Park offers an abundance of outdoor recreation opportunities. A true outdoor playground with over 1,000 acres, miles upon miles of recreational trails for hiking and mountain biking, great camp sites, fishing on the Clear Fork River, and much more.
For more information visit: www.ohiostateparks.org.
Malabar, an ancient Asian word, means “beautiful valley.” Located on a 900-acre working farm is Malabar Farm State Park, once the dream home of Pulitzer Prize-winning author/agriculturalist Louis Bromfield, lives up to its name. Today visitors can see the house and farm existing just as they did in Bromfield’s time. The 32-room Big House, designed by Bromfield and architect Louis Lamoreux, is a blend of Western Reserve architectural styles and was built to appear as if it had been added onto over the years. Tours of the mansion, preserved just as Louis left it in 1956, are offered year-round. Programs at Malabar Farm State Park include Heritage Days and much more.
Learn more by visiting www.malabarfarm.org.
This historic town is in the heart of Mohican country, adjacent to Mohican State Park and the Mohican River. Take a stroll down Main Street and browse the varied stores and specialty shops that feature unique handmade crafts.
For more information visit: www.loudonville-mohican.com.
For more information to plan your visit in Ohio’s Mohican State Park, check out the following resources.
Ohio State Departments
- Tourism: www.DiscoverOhio.com
- Ohio Department of Natural Resources: www.ohiodnr.com
- Division of Parks: www.ohiostateparks.org
- Division of Wildlife: www.wildohio.com
- Division of Watercraft: http://watercraft.ohiodnr.gov/
- Road Conditions: www.dot.state.oh.us
- Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course: www.midohio.com
- Apple Valley Golf Course: www.applevalleygolfcourse.com
- Tree Frog Canopy Tours: www.treefrogcanopytours.com
- Mohican Adventures: www.mohicanadventures.com
- Mohican Campground & Canoeing: www.mohicanreservation.com
- Loudonville Canoe Livery: www.loudonvillecanoe.com
- Snow Trails Ski Area: www.snowtrails.com